Thursday, March 20, 2008

Machine

This afternoon I celebrated Easter with some friends and family. I listened to an interesting sermon on the radio and then made my way a restaraunt that infuses everything with garlic, inlcuding their signature garlic ice cream. After brunch I drove home with my windows down enjoying the beautiful day. I am not sure if it was the amount of food I ate or the fact that it was a lazy Sunday afternoon, but when I got home I was exhausted. I opened my windows, let the unseasonably warm spring breeze fill my apartment and I took a nap. In my garlic infused slumber I had another one of my bizarre dreams. I only remember two distint scenarios from this dream and I don't recall how or if the two scenarios intersected somehow. They may have even been two separate dreams. Anyway, the first part I remember involved a celebrity hitting on me. Now you might think, ooooh cool! Who was it? Whas it hot? Was he hot? I myself would ask the same question if I were you, because afterall, dreams do provide us with opportunities to do things [and people] we wouldn't or couldn't possible have the opportunity to do in real life. Plus, because it's our subconcious at work, we can't be morally held responsible for whatever happens in our dreams, right? Its like a free pass to get freaky. So getting back to the celebrity in my dream...I wish I could say it was George Clooney, Common, maybe Justin Timberlake, or even my favorite funny man Jack Black. Unfortunately, my subconcious was not so kind to me. My celebrity hit man? Bill Cosby. Yes, I had a dream that Bill Cosby was putting the moves on me. Thankfully, I declined his advances in my dream but cited his political views as the reason. -Yeah, I need help.

But then I had another dream that kind of rocked my world a little bit.

I remember being in a really big house where a party was going on. I was walking through different rooms and the house and people seemed to be doing typical party things. I walked through a family room type of room where guys and girls were sitting around talking, drinking and eating. I kept walking through the room and found a door that led to the garage where I found this huge machine like contraption in the middle of the room. I was facsinated with this machine to such a degree that I decided to climb into it. While I sat in the middle of the machine, I realized that there was no way out of it. Every spot that seemed like an out was obstructed with metal claw like devices. I started getting scared, and began considering other options of getting out of this thing. I could have yelled for help, but for some reason I didn't want anyone to know that I was stuck! Instead, I opted for my second idea. I decided to dismantle the machine from the inside out in order to free myself from the grips of it. I started unscrewing small parts and then as pieces began to loosen and come free, I used the bigger pieces as tools to dislodge the even bigger pieces. It felt like it took forever, but eventually, I looked around and saw that the big machine that I got myself trapped into, was now dismantled into hundreds of pieces, and I just got up and walked away.

I think that has to be the coolest dream I have ever had! I love the idea that in order to escape the dilemma I got myself into, I had to completely dismantle what trapped me. I hope if I have any situations in my life that trap me, that I find the strength and patience to dismantle that situation from the inside out. Yeah, that would be really cool.

As far as the Cosby thing goes, your guess is as good as mine on that one. Maybe it was the all the garlic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that is a metaphor of the calling in your life, you and I were talking that those who are cross-culturally minded need to be in suburban white churches to dismantle the machine of whiteness...

I enjoyed talking to you today and hope we can continue the conversation

C T

Yeti said...

you could do a LOT worse then bill cosby...